Costs, Fees, And Expenses Connected To DWIs In Texas
Facing a DWI charge in Texas brings criminal consequences and emotional tolls top of mind, but many do not initially realize there are significant financial implications as well. When you hire a Houston DWI lawyer, they can help you to fully understand DWI arrest consequences, including the various costs, fees, and expenses associated with DWIs.
Court-Related Fees and Other Financial Consequences
When people talk about court-related expenses, they are talking about a range of fees and costs, including the following:
- After a DWI arrest, you may need to pay bail in order to secure your release from custody until a scheduled court appearance.
- Attorney fees. While having a skilled DWI lawyer is essential to mounting a strong defense, their services do come at a cost. It is also important to note that lawyer expenses may be higher if your case is complicated.
- Court fines. Should you be convicted, Texas imposes substantial fines as penalties for DWI offenses. Depending on your circumstances and if you have any prior arrests on your record, your court fines could be hundreds to thousands of dollars.
- Probation expenses. If part of a legal determination puts you on probation, you may need to make monthly supervision fees to the probation department.
- Interlock devices. When a Texas court will order the installation of an ignition interlock device in your vehicle, you have to use it in order to have your breath analyzed before starting your car or truck. If this is true for you, you will be responsible for the costs associated with the device, including initial installation fees and monthly maintenance costs.
Of course, beyond these court fees, there are other financial consequences as well. For instance, many cope with their driver’s license being revoked or suspended as a result of a DWI. While it may be possible to get your license reinstated, it will require that you pay fees to the Texas Department of Public Safety. This is on top of charges you may have incurred to get your vehicle back, such as towing and impoundment fees.
Insurance Shifts and Job Loss
Additionally, as you rebuild your life after a DWI conviction, you may experience significantly higher insurance premiums or even a cancellation of your policy. As a result, finding affordable auto insurance coverage can become challenging. This is on top of career and job impacts, such as a DWI diminishing your employment prospects or leading to job loss.
If you are overwhelmed by the financial consequences of a Texas DWI, talk through your situation with a Houston DWI lawyer. Seasoned legal counsel can help you prepare for next steps and make informed decisions.
Are you unsure of how much money to set aside for your DWI arrest charges? When you find yourself facing a DWI charge, consult with an experienced Texas DWI lawyer who can guide you through the legal process and help you mitigate the financial repercussions. To get the process started, connect with the legal team at Ayson Law Firm. Contact us today for a free consultation.