Houston Felony DWI Lawyer
Your freedom is on the line any time you are charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI) in Houston. However, if the offense rises to the level of a felony, the penalties you will face may affect you for the rest of your life. To avoid these harsh penalties, it is critical that you speak to a Houston felony DWI lawyer that will protect your rights and freedom.
Our Houston Felony DWI Lawyer Defines a Felony Offense
Driving while intoxicated is usually considered a misdemeanor offense, but there are certain circumstances that can upgrade the crime to a felony. These circumstances include:
- A third offense: If you have two or more previous convictions for a DWI on your record, you may be charged with a felony for a subsequent offense. The penalties for this third-degree felony include up to ten years in state prison, high fines, community service, and a two-year revocation of your driver’s license.
- DWI with minor passenger: When a person is suspected of a DWI and has a child under the age of 15 in the vehicle with them, it is a state jail felony. The penalties include at least 180 days in jail and a maximum of two years in a state jail facility.
- Intoxication assault: This occurs when a driver suspected of DWI is involved in an accident that results in injury. As a third degree felony, this offense has the same penalties as a third offense. The victim must have suffered a serious bodily injury.
- Intoxication manslaughter: When a driver is suspected of DWI and is involved in an accident that resulted in death, a person will face some of the most serious consequences. Intoxication manslaughter is a second-degree felony, punishable by a maximum of 20 years in state prison.
There is no such thing as a minor felony charge. If you have been charged, a Houston felony DWI lawyer can help you avoid the harsh consequences that come with a conviction.
How Can a Houston Felony DWI Lawyer Help?
Every DWI case is unique, and the defense strategy used in your case will depend on the specific facts involved. Still, there are some general strategies our Houston felony DWI lawyer commonly uses when defending these cases. These include:
- Challenging the traffic stop and whether the police officer had probable cause
- Challenging the legality of a search to get important evidence thrown out
- Challenging the accuracy of chemical test results
- Negotiating with the prosecution for a resolution
The above are just a few of the defense strategies we will employ to give you the best chance of beating the charges.
Call Our Houston Felony DWI Lawyer Today
Felony DWI charges are some of the most serious a person could face. You do not have to face them alone. At Ayson Law Firm, our felony DWI lawyer in Houston can advise you of your legal options and prepare a defense that will give you the best chance of a positive outcome. Call us today at 832-209-2297 or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation.